1. Shell the prawns, keep the shells and heads for the stock
2. In a small saucepan quickly boil the shells, heads, bay leaf, glass of wine and skinned small onion, for around 30 mins.
3. Strain the stock, add salt to taste and the strands of saffron and leave to sit – it can be prepared in advance
4. In a wide based pan gently sweat the garlic and onions until tender.
5. Add the rice to the pan and gently stir through the oil for 5 mins.
6. Add the stock a bit at a time, stirring occasionally to release the starch. Keep adding until the rice is nearly cooked “al dente” making sure it doesn’t get too dry. It should be more liquid than a risotto.
7. Add the prawns and stir through – they should be cooked in about five minutes. Leave to sit for 5 minutes and serve hot.